chelsea kay's days

a stay at home mom trying to figure things out

Name:
Location: Ohio, United States

i'm a stay at home mom. i'm crazy about my little boys. in a past life i was an acting major. i love to read more than almost anything. if i could get a second degree it would be in art history. i love jesus somethin' awful. and i go to an amazing church who loves me well.

Thursday, August 31, 2006

got everyone in bed and to sleep. i always feel mildly heroic afterwards. especially this week while chris is out of commission.

the day was good. mostly. i took the boys to cosi because i couldn't stand being in this house another day and we all needed a dose of fun. we bought lunch there and stayed for half the day. the boys all did great and i felt good that we made it out with no help and everything went smoothly. .... except.... julian fell asleep in the car and didn't transfer and wouldn't go back to sleep... so - no nap.

oh well. you win some, you lose some.

i'm tired and i've still got laundry to do before bed. better go soon.

one thing... last night i had this thought... i live life sort of like i'm at a car lot and someone comes to me and says kindly, "listen i want you to have this car for free. take it. it's yours." and it's this beautiful shiny brand new luxury car. but instead, i look around... see an old used rusty junker with the muffler hanging down and no rims and say..."i'll take that one instead and there's no way i'm not paying."

it's a poor analogy. we've been doing a lot of buying and selling and looking at cars lately... whatdaya gonna do? still... it fits.

i don't really know how to let God forgive me. or not totally anyway. i mean i want to pay for my sins a little bit.

hearing adrienne at the women's retreat, speak about jesus coming and breaking the sin off of us... my involuntary response was... "i can't let myself get away with that." it shocked me, this thought. i use self condemnation and guilt as a way of paying for my sins. and i do a poor, poor job at it because the tab is getting bigger by the minute and i'm broke. you see, i'm realizing that i better let someone else foot the bill. not because i don't deserve too... just because i'm incapable. but easier said than done.

i think i might have been a good catholic... penence is comforting to me. trouble is... i don't believe in it. i live like i do... assigning myself every increasing acts of reparation... but in my heart i know it doesn't work and may even be sin in and of itself. what irony? my attempt to pay for my sin... may just be sin.

anyway... why is it that the older i get the more i realize what a mess i am?

my theory is that the closer i get to Jesus the more i see his holiness clearly and the farther i seem to fall short. so in essence... when i was farther from jesus i felt better about my "self"... the closer i am to jesus.... the worse i feel about my "self". and yet the closer i get... the more loved i feel and the more content i am and the more i see the real me emerge.

this isn't coming out at all right.... but there it is.

i know, i know. i know all the right answers. i know the scriptures. but that's how it is... we know one thing in our heads and one thing in hearts. and sometimes get them both on the same page is awfully hard.

4 Comments:

Blogger maureen said...

paying penance makes me feel sickly heroic. remember that scene from the mission?

ugggh...

i totally follow.

you are so loved!
maureen

6:41 PM  
Blogger mommy zabs said...

good word, and so true for me too.

6:56 PM  
Blogger Chelsea L. said...

Hi, I'm sort of surprised that you're a mom!! Coz I always feel that people named Chelsea are just normal teenagers!

Oh, well, I will become a mom too in the future! :)

4:32 AM  
Blogger Andy Whitman said...

Hi, Chelsea. I always appreciate what you have to share.

I think grace is the hardest concept to "get" at a deep, heart level. The idea itself isn't hard to grasp. But at every turn I want to return to sender, say “Great idea, but I’ll handle this on my own, thank you very much.” This is called pride.

Once, not all that long ago, I was sitting in a 12-step meeting, having done severe damage to my bodily health, my spiritual health, and the ongoing survival of my family. And it hit me. At that very moment, when I was in the pit of despair and self-loathing, I was loved with an infinite love that I could not outsin. I couldn’t erect a barrier tall enough to wall myself off from that love. I had done my best, and my worst, to spectacularly flame out, to run away, to hide, to do whatever it is that addicted people do to escape the Hound of Heaven. And it hadn’t worked. I was loved anyway, and that meant that I couldn’t live life on my terms, on my own. Anne Lamott has a great conversion prayer: “Fuck it, I give up.” And that’s pretty much what I prayed at that moment. And then I laughed.

So, dear Chelsea, that tendency to want to pay for the old, rusty junker is rooted in pride. But here’s the thing: don’t sweat it. Carrying around our guilt, our lack of trust, our tendency to want to wrest the wheel away from God -- taking those things out of our spiritual pocket every hour so we can get a good lack at them -- is rooted in pride, too. Here is the truth: you are an imperfect human being who sins, and you are infinitely loved by God. And you can’t pay for your sins. You’re too late.

So maybe the best thing we can do is laugh – at ourselves, at our insecurities, at our agonized self doubt. I really don’t mean to make light of those things in your life. I’m sure they’re real enough. But sometimes I like to picture God in Jewish Mother mode when I adopt that way of thinking: “Oy vey, I know. You think you’re telling me something new? But I love you with a perfect love.” It helps me to put these things in perspective. I am not perfect, I am not even perfect in the way I understand God, and it’s okay. Because God is perfect, and He has a grip, and He’s not going to let go.

5:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

< ? Blogging Mommies # >