chelsea kay's days

a stay at home mom trying to figure things out

Name:
Location: Ohio, United States

i'm a stay at home mom. i'm crazy about my little boys. in a past life i was an acting major. i love to read more than almost anything. if i could get a second degree it would be in art history. i love jesus somethin' awful. and i go to an amazing church who loves me well.

Saturday, March 25, 2006

sometimes i have these moments where i looks at my kids and love them so much it actually hurts. i actually cringe because for a moment the love that i am feeling is too big for my frail little heart. in those moments i usually experience a sharp intake of breath and a grimace and a physical sensation of tightening in my chest. anyone else have this?

like last night... i was just sitting watching julian sleep and suddenly he stretched and his feet poked out of the bottom of the blanket and i just absolutely fell apart with love. his sweetness was just way over the top and it overwhelmed me.

but then i felt sad because those feelings are closer to the truth than anything else i experience. the truth that i am blessed beyond reason to be a mother. i am blessed without merit or deservedness with treasures that can not be explained. with two (three) boys who are fearfully and wonderfully made and are little miracles walking around and reflecting the creativity and graciousness and power of God. and they are my job. my job is to care for and nurture three little miracles.

three little miracles who poop in the bathtub with some regularity. who act as if i stabbed them in the back when i won't let them have another piece of candy. who spill juice and cereal and yogurt on the rug and couch and on me. who wake me up while it's still dark out and want to go downstairs immediately and want breakfast and a show and vitamins at the same time right now while i'm still trying to figure out what day it is and where my glasses are. who make a zillion messes and then act like victims when i ask them to put their shoes and coats away before they play. who climb into bed with me every night and force me to sleep on the edge of the bed with their knees poking into my back. who won't sit in the shopping cart. who touch everything possible in the public bathroom. who take up so much room inside that i can't breath, have to pee every 30 seconds, get unfathomably tired by 8pm, and feel nauseous pretty much any time i'm in a car. who throw up on me, wipe their noses on my shoulder, spit their unwanted food into my hands, and somehow always manage to get pee all over the toilet seat.

and so if you're wondering... the sad part is that i forget that they're miracles. i forget that, yes... julian just pooped in the bathtub... again... while i was in there with him. BUT... it's my little miracle who's doing the pooping. he's still a miracle... and the poop will get cleaned up and yes... i have to do it. and no... i don't want to. and yes... i will gag and maybe dry heave a few times. and no... he will not thank me or apologize. but he is still a miracle. and the truth is... the real literal truth is... that if i had to make a choice... i would clean poop out of the tub every day for the rest of my life for the opportunity to love julian. or emerson. {or sasha?} (i'm glad i don't have to make that choice. whoo hoo.)

miracles that happen everyday seem to be lost on us. but they are no less miraculous. just common. and so the monotony and irritation and exhaustion of my boys eclipses that miracle of my boys more often than not. and it made me sad.

here's to living in the miraculous a few more moments today than i did yesterday.

(keep the comments on sasha coming.)

20 Comments:

Blogger Zena and Joshua said...

great post, chels.

here's what i'm wondering about for sasha. what are your concerns? is it the gender issue? if that's it, it will be an issue. when he's young. when he's a twenty something hunk of a guy, he'll be all hip and the chicks will be like, "are you from europe?" giggle giggle. however in third grade, it might be tougher.

and that's why i dislike/like the name.

i'm personally still liking ebenezer.

~z

7:53 AM  
Blogger Andy Whitman said...

I like Coolio Kay. But that's just me.

I do think Sasha is a nice name, but unlike Joan McCollum's remarks, I also think it would almost certainly elicit some comments that you may not want to inflict on your child. I think far more people associate the name with women (a la Sasha Cohen, the female skater who just competed in the Winter Olympics) than with men. I think a more apt comparison is Kim/Kim. Sure, there are men named Kim, and most of them probably emerge relatively unscathed. But you do set the kid up for some potentially horrendous grade school years. It's something to think about, at any rate.

Re: the main point of this post, I think those miraculous, overpowering feelings of love carry us through the more mundane, tiresome aspects of parenting. And really, it's hard to feel all awash in miraculous love when you're dealing with a turd in the bathtub. Parenting is so hard sometimes. I'm sure you know this, but it does get easier. Different issues arise, of course, but at least they don't involve feces. That's a good thing. Hang in there.

10:29 AM  
Blogger chelsea said...

okay... here's the deal... my concerns are your concerns. i didn't want to say anything about what i think because i just wanted everyone to say what they thought. :) but i'm afraid it's too femine as well. however, i wonder if children of this age will associate "sasha" with anything at all. it seems to me that the name sasha wouldn't register as familiar at all to a young child. still... i tend to be a more cautious namer than chris is and we've agreed that should something else come up that we both agree on we'll ditch sasha... in the meantime... we don't agree on anything else. :) (we had a good friend in switzerland named sasha so for us the association is male and very cool.) still this is our kids name we're talking about and i don't really want to go into it with reservations. can you imagine the first time he gets made fun of and i think... yep... andy and zena tried to warn me... but i just wouldn't listen. :) i will keep everyone in the loop on new name contenders. suggestions are welcome but coolio and ebenezer have been vetoed. no offense, please. :)

6:45 PM  
Blogger amy paxton said...

Dorian Kay?

(j/k)

btw, that was a beautiful post.

7:05 PM  
Blogger Zena and Joshua said...

you make a good point. sasha would be among the mckinlees and phoenixes and mazzys of his day, not the susies and brians and toms of ours.

so completely disregard my last post. really, i mean it. i hadn't thought about it like that.

and what do you mean you don't like ebenezer? i was putting myself on the line here. i opened up. and you just veto me?

love,
z

7:32 AM  
Blogger Andy Whitman said...

One other point. Don't discount the celebrity factor. By that I mean that if a dual-gender name is most commonly associated with a particular individual, then most people will associate that name with the gender of the most famous individual who carries it.

There is a young U.S. figure skater named Sasha Cohen. And if she wins the gold medal in the 2008 Winter Olympics, as she very well might, then there will be 2,847,922 babies named Sasha born in 2009, and they will all be girls. And then children will associate the name "Sasha" with something very specific. Just something to keep in mind.

8:14 AM  
Blogger chelsea said...

ooooh... now andy that's a good point.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

i keep going back and forth on the name. i tend to associate it with a female's name... but who's to say that once i meet your little guy i won't associate it more with a being a male name? i just don't know! but i do agree with andy's point.

10:05 AM  
Blogger chelsea said...

hmmm... um, zena, i kind of like phoenix actually.

7:12 PM  
Blogger John McCollum said...

Bah. I like Sasha.

I think that by the time he hits school, a fading-glory Silver Medalist won't exactly be at the top of any of his friend's minds.

I don't know of any kids -- male OR female -- at our school named Sasha, so I doubt my boys would know if it's a girl's name or not.

Maybe it's all that Russian lit I had to read. The name sounds gender-neutral to me.

6:47 AM  
Blogger chelsea said...

i wasn't kidding. we're seriously considering phoenix.

3:29 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

actually, i like phoenix.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

not sure if any other names are in the running, or up for discussion, but i recently heard and liked the name Suley for a boy.

7:37 PM  
Blogger chelsea said...

karen, i had suggested sullivan to chris in one of our many attempts to find a name. i like sullivan and sulley for a nick name... chris vetoed. but i like it. :)

5:07 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

rats. i really like sullivan. this wasn't sulley though, it was with only one l, so it sounds more like "sooley".

oh well! :D

5:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like Sasha too-- and lots of people initally think Ezra is a girl's name and there has been no problem with that thus far. but i'd have to fall on Andy's side here because of the whole skater thing.

*i* love the name Wyatt-- and Lisa's rejected it, so it's all yours :)... i understand if you don't like it, nobody does...(my first choice for a girl's name was Gertrude, so i'm used to my ideas being rejected).

if you went with Sasha what about the spelling Sascha? i've seen that recently for a european guy and somehow the 'ch' makes it look more masculine(?).

6:00 AM  
Blogger Zena and Joshua said...

considering phoenix, are you? i think that's one of my spiritual gifts; inadvertently naming children. sweet! actually, i kind of like it, too.

phoenix kay.

9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

definatly pheonix!

7:53 PM  
Blogger Zena and Joshua said...

found this definition:

phoenix~
Middle English fenix, from Old English, from Latin phoenix, from Greek phoinix
: a legendary bird which according to one account lived 500 years, burned itself to ashes on a pyre, and rose alive from the ashes to live another period; also : a person or thing regarded as uniquely remarkable in some respect.

now i'm pushing for it.

~z

8:06 AM  
Blogger mommy zabs said...

I absolutley love what you said about the meaning of pheonix... very cool, very meaningful... and it seems your story elicits the need of a meaningful name in this baby. I love symbolism.

Sasha, I can see it being cool If I had a cool guy friend named sasha. But I know a girl named sasha who is fun and all, but a girl. :)

Another name I love, but we didn't use is LYRIC. but not as meaningful as PhEONIX. Just cool sounding (In my opinoin.

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

< ? Blogging Mommies # >