chelsea kay's days

a stay at home mom trying to figure things out

Name:
Location: Ohio, United States

i'm a stay at home mom. i'm crazy about my little boys. in a past life i was an acting major. i love to read more than almost anything. if i could get a second degree it would be in art history. i love jesus somethin' awful. and i go to an amazing church who loves me well.

Thursday, January 19, 2006

so... i'm almost 21 weeks pregnant and i'm still nauseous and exhausted and dizzy. sigh........... i'm getting discouraged. i'm so far into my second trimester... supposedly the easy one and easy is not the word that comes to mind. i was actually starting to feel better until i caught another cold and just went under. the cold is gone but the aftershocks are horrific. it's like i just can't bounce back. i'm facing the hard conclusion that i'm going to have to just start letting some things go that i haven't been willing to... i need to rest.

my sweet husband offered to send me to miami beach with the boys and a friend for a week just to be warm and let all of our immune systems have a break. tempting... very tempting. but i'm just too frugal. we really can't justify that kind of extravagance just yet.

emerson has been a constant source of smiles. ------

"mommy, why do mommies protect their babies?"

"well because mommies love their babies and don't want anything bad to happen to them."

"mommy... you protect me and julian, right?"

"yes."

"but where'd you learn to fight?"

----------------------------------------------------

the other day we were in barnes and nobles buying a birthday present and i stopped at the classics wall and started to pontificate....

"emerson, these books are some of the best books in the world. people from all over the world have read these books for sometimes even hundreds of years and loved them. these are very important books."

"i justed tooted mommy."

sigh...........

----------------------------------------------------------

julian has also come out of his dark stage. :) the last 3 or 4 days he has been so delightfully sweet and affection and cute. he seems to be enjoying life and relishing his family which is wonderful and rewarding. at last. it's like after months of withstanding the worst of julian, the best is beginning to surface and we're all beginning to fall in love with this little boy.

don't get me wrong... he's still a force to be reckoned with... but a wonderfully effervescent, full of life and overwhelmingly sweet force to be reckoned with. :)

the other day he was asking for candy and i said no and gave him a fruit leather. he grabbed it from my hand and promptly walked across the room and threw it viciously into the trash can. and then looked me in the eye and pointed at the candy bowl. (this is before he even knows how to talk people... what am i in for?) still... i really don't know anyone more loving. he is a snuggly, giggly, passionate little guy and i'm so smitten with him.

have been on a reading binge for a few months now. i go through books faster than i ever have in my life. even with very little time to read. so if anyone has a great recommendation... send it my way. i've been reading novels and memoirs for a pretty long time and those are always welcome but if anyone knows a great, stimulating non-fiction book... that would be a nice change of pace too.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was the same way with my now two year old Samuel (makes me a little hesitant about a second baby).By the third trimester though, I was a ball of energy. Hope you feel "better" soon.

Have you read Anne Rice's new novel, Christ Out of Egypt"? What do you think of it?

Nicole
ourparsonage@charter.net

12:15 PM  
Blogger mommy zabs said...

man i was sick like that with both. there were days that were better than others, but you DEFINITELY have my sympathy, i know it isn't easy and can't imagine doing it with 2 boys and a cold. Bless yoU! I would take that trip to Miami Beach if I were you :) The sun can be so thereputic! At least for me.

12:54 PM  
Blogger Andy Whitman said...

Hi, Chelsea. I always appreciate your thoughts on parenthood and life in general. And I appreciated what you shared at church on Sunday, too. Just wanted to pass that along.

Your comment about "great books" caught my eye as well. I was an English major, so I read many of those books in college, but I've been going back and rediscovering some old favorites and finding new favorites over the past couple of years, and most of them seem to fall into that "great books" category. Here are a few "classic" writers I've enjoyed recently that you might enjoy:

Thomas Wolfe -- "Look Homeward, Angel" is his most famous novel, and it's a beauty. But he wrote a couple other great ones -- "Of Time and the River" and "You Can't Go Home Again." He's obsessed with time and using it wisely, and he captures the "carpe diem" idea better than any other writer I've encountered. There's a passion for everyday life and a desire to find the extraordinary in the mundane in all of his work. I always come back to him when I'm feeling stale and bored, and he always slaps me back to life.

Jane Austen -- You know, the chest-thumping good ole boy part of me hates to admit this, but I love her novels. I read them in college and hated them, and found them full of boring tea parties and gossipping women. Now I read them and find them incredibly witty and funny, something I missed entirely the first time through.

Annie Dillard -- Annie Dillard is primarily a poet, but her book "Pilgrim at Tinker Creek" is something else entirely; part nature study, part theological meditation, part poetry. It's just brilliantly written, and the way she uses words is thrilling, and causes me to rejoice and praise God more than any 50 Vineyard worship tunes combined.

I hope there's something of value there.

1:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i feel like i just caught up on you a little... =)

the barnes & noble thing made me laugh out loud. i love that kid.
i forgot to tell you that when he was in our car, he and aidan were being boys and at one point aidan was talking about something (star wars,maybe) with a bunch of added drama and intensity (i was looking at them through the rv mirror) and emerson was just looking at aidan with this sweet look of love, really love and then he said, 'hey, let's snuggle (or cuddle)' and put his arm around aidan. my heart melted. how sweet.
lyndi

11:30 AM  
Blogger chelsea said...

nicole...
that's encouraging. maybe in a few weeks i'll be racing around again.
i haven't read christ out of egypt. is it good?

elizabeth...
you were sick for this long? whew! i was terribly sick in the 1st trimester with all of my pregnancies but this one is carrying on longer. (i suppose i don't rest or sleep nearly as much this time though...)hope things are going well adjusting to lukas. can't wait to see him in person.

andy...
thanks for the encouragement. it means a lot. i will definitely check out wolfe. i haven't read him before. austen i have... but only sense and sensibility and the play form of pride and prejudice. what would you start with?
annie dillard i have read in essay and excerpt form and have always been impressed. i actually suggested it for my bookclub but it didn't get chosen. i will let you know what i think.

lyndi...
miss you. is aidan good for a playdate next week? emerson informed me today that he needs a darth vadar costume so he and aidan can go trick or treating by themselves next year without us. :)
chelsea

5:24 PM  
Blogger Zena and Joshua said...

chelsea,

so sorry to hear you are not well. i second elizabeth, go to the beach! but, hey, i don't balance your checkbook :)

i miss you. josh and i are planning to visit in february. we may stay at the harrison house, so you'll be seeing this face soon!

love to you,
z

9:49 AM  
Blogger John McCollum said...

By the way, Chelsea, where DID you learn how to fight?

2:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

read anything by Frederick Beauchner.

6:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

< ? Blogging Mommies # >